Friday 9 January 2009

Best. Steak. Ever.


I recently purchased a water bath and a vacuum sealer to accomplish sous vide cooking. Essentially how it works is you vacuum seal something in a bag and take all of the air out. Then you set the water bath the the desired temperature for doneness for whatever you're cooking. If you set it for the same temp as a rare steak gets in the middle, the protein you're cooking will NEVER get above it. It CAN'T overcook.

So I set the water bath to 139.2F and cooked my two steaks for 45 minutes. After that, a quick sear in a screaming hot pan and onto a plate with some Bearnaise Sauce. The picture speaks for itself.

Thanks to Dave and Karena for getting me a certain cookbook which set me on the path for buying all of this equipment. Watch this space for more crazy experiments.

No comments: