Monday 8 February 2010

Turkey Pasta with Rosemary and Garlic Tomato Sauce


If there is something in this world I can make consistently it's a good bowl of pasta. I mean, I don't like to brag, but if you dropped me into a kitchen halfway around the world, blindfolded me, spun me around three times, ripped off the blindfold and demanded, "Now. Make a bowl of pasta," I would likely be able to deliver it. And I'd like to think it would taste good.

I really like the taste of the turkey in this and also, we used a more passata-like canned tomato this time. It was a smoother consistency, and was a nice change from the chunkier versions I have made in the past. I'm like a broken record here, but I can't say enough for the combination of fennel seed, red pepper flake, oregano and rosemary.... especially in these wintry times. This one is also very good for you!

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon fennel seed
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
1.3 pounds extra-lean ground turkey
3 ¼ cups canned crushed tomatoes
300 g Healthy Harvest fusilli (or other whole-wheat pasta, such as penne)
salt, to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5-8 minutes, or until softened and translucent. Add the fennel seed, red pepper flakes, rosemary and oregano and stir through to combine. Add the turkey and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the pinkness has gone away. Add the canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Partially cover and then let this slowly bubble away for at least 30 minutes.

Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions.

Drain the pasta, then add to the sauce. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt. Serve hot.

No comments: