Tuesday 9 September 2008

Eggs in Purgatory (Uovo in Purgatorio)


We had this seafood lunch planned. I was driving home and, predictably, it started pissing down rain. Alas, my short walk to the fishmonger's (literally 200 yards away) was not to be. I dug up this recipe for which we had everything on hand already. I've made it before, and I'll make it again.

One Note: When recipes say 'discard the garlic', I never do. I love it too much. I mean, for Pete's sake, if you're going to eat Italian food, you should prepare yourself for a little garlic. Or if I'm cooking it, A LOT of garlic.

1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups canned tomato puree
4 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces, or a pinch of dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground pepper
8 large eggs
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano

In a medium skillet, cook the garlic in the oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until lightly golden. Add the tomato, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened. Discard the garlic.

Break an egg into a small cup. With a spoon, make a well in the tomato sauce. Slide the egg into the sauce. Continue with the remaining eggs. Sprinkle with the cheese. Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until the eggs are done to taste. Serve hot.

No comments: